Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Comic Book Reviews: MARVEL



Ah, there's nothing like running out to Barnes and Noble with your brother 20 minutes before closing and having to wade through the hundreds of titles in the comic book section to find your perfect book. Thankfully my brother is well-versed in comics and was able to help me find what I wanted with minutes to spare.

I'm on vacation right now, and when you're on vacation, you read no matter what. I read the first the night I came home after riding for 11 hours in a car, and the next night I couldn't resist reading the second. So without further ado, let me tell you about the two I bought.


Black Widow: The Finely Woven Thread


I snatched this one up first as Black Widow is one of my favorite characters, and I wanted to get to know her more in the comics. The first volume in what I believe to be three, there wasn't much of a story line but more of character setup cluttered with erratic stories here and there eventually wrapping up to tie into the next novel. A bit of a disappointment, but I still enjoyed the character building and if anything, the illustrations made up for it. If you love something a little softer and more realistic, you'll adore these graphics. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for more books illustrated by Phil Noto.

Ms. Marvel: No Normal

Image result for ms marvel no normal

I've been hearing about this book for a year, so after I got into comics this past March I figured it was finally time to pick it up. I have to say I was impressed. I appreciated the themes of the story and authenticity of the teenage protagonist; sixteen, Muslim, rebellious, ignorant, confused, aching for more than she is... It's a story of growth and acceptance in the midst of mistakes, addressing issues of bullying, tolerance, and responsibility. If you love the character of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, you'll enjoy Ms. Marvel, and I also think it's a great comic book for teens if they want to start reading comic books.

Did you grow up with comics? Or are you just starting to show interest like me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment