Thursday, February 25, 2016

Book Review: Marley & Me

I am not one for sad dog stories. I locked myself in the bathroom and cried violently after watching Eight Below. After watching Hachi, I was angry at my parents for bringing home such a movie. Don't even get me started on Old Yeller.

However, Marley and Me was the one "sad" dog movie I could watch and enjoy, despite shedding tears at the end. I figured I would try the book, as well. I'm thrilled I did.

Yes, this book is about "the world's worst dog," a dog that was kicked out of obedience school and ate an 18K gold necklace. But this isn't just a dog story. It's about a family, about love, and loyalty. It's about learning to work through the trials and tears life brings you, and always finding the joy in a day.

John Grogan cleverly takes us through Marley's life and the experiences he and his wife went through starting their own marriage and family, making you feel as though you're right there with them. I laughed, I cried, and I walked away unable to stop thinking of the book.

I never thought I'd be able to pick a favorite book, but Marley & Me might just be my answer.

5/5 stars

Advisory: This book contains a little bit of language, and Grogan is fairly open and honest about marital relations as good chunk of the book deals with the Grogans attempting to start a family; some of it is also emotionally heavy. It might be a bit much for younger readers.



No comments:

Post a Comment