Wednesday, February 17, 2016

2016 Book Shelf : Non-Fiction




Last time I posted my 2016 Book Shelf of fiction books. Now I'm sharing the nonfiction books I plan to read this year. I use to hate nonfiction, but I think you get to a certain age where reading at least some is necessary! 



Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking


I've read a few chapters of this and as an introvert, I love it. Time to finish.


The Annotated Jane Eyre


I received this book a couple birthdays ago. I'm ashamed I still haven't finished it, so I'm determined to complete reading it this year! (That isn't saying anything for the quality of the book; only that I'm easily distracted and time got split by moving!)


Jane's Fame


Another book given to me a long time ago that I haven't read, which is ridiculous considering how much I love Jane Austen. Plus, that cover is so lovely I could cry. 


Yes, Please


Amy Poehler is a brilliant comedian, and I had started listening to her audiobook version and was completely enthralled, until, you guessed it, something else in life came along. Alas, I exited out of the audiobook and never got back to it. I'll be dedicating an afternoon sometime soon to finish this memoir. 


Living the Invisible Disability


If you've kept up with the blog for a while, you'll know I've suffered a TBI and struggle with depression. I often avoid reading personal accounts of people with similar experiences because it makes me very emotional, but I'm also encouraged hearing stories where others have triumphed. This has been recommended several times, so I believe it's about time I read it. 



Lost in my Mind


Another story detailing the life of someone recovering from TBI and moving on in their life.



Costume Design 101


I adore researching about costume design; my favorite part of behind the scenes features on movies is when the costume department speaks of how they studied characters and came up with the ideas for the beautiful costumes on their shows. A career I've always been interested in, and while I don't necessarily expect to follow through with this dream, it's always good to have more information on your interests. 


Word Painting



I've been told in the past that dialogue is my strong point; whether that is true or not, I KNOW my weak point is descriptive writing. I'm curious as to what this book will cover.


Surprised by Joy


C.S. Lewis is a hero to me, and I'm anxious to find a copy of this partial autobiography.

On Writing



I started this a while back and never finished, but I fell in love with the writing style, stories, and tips. This is a must-read this year! 


If You Want to Write


I've heard this is a must-read for writers. Have you read it?


The Criminal Mind


Thank you, crime TV shows, for making me fascinated in criminal and forensic psychology. This will be perfect for a certain story idea I have been mulling over. 


There you have it. A short list of nonfiction books to read in 2016. These two lists are only the beginning; head over to my new Goodreads page to find an even bigger list! (Profile not complete as the site is giving me some trouble, but you can still find my ever growing 2016 reading list.) I've decided to try reading 100 books this year and have joined K.M. Weiland's Reading Challenge. I might fail miserably, but it's a good challenge!

What's YOUR reading goal for 2016?











2 comments:

  1. Wow, you have a lot of non-fiction you want to tackle! I try (and I use try VERY loosely) to alternate between fiction and non-fiction books. My favourites are generally memoirs, but I try to stretch myself. Last year I read A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis and it was really excellent.

    Hope you enjoy these books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm behind in non-fiction because I shied away from it for so long. I try to balance between the two genres as well, unless I'm reading a series. I've heard good things about A Grief Observed; I will have to add it to my list.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete