Monday, December 9, 2013

Which Story Should I Write?

(Apologies in advanced for the font issues, I can't do anything to change it. No idea what caused this, but I hope to have it figured out by the next post)

Probably all of you know by now that I finished the first draft for my WIP "Drasia." While this is the prequel to three more planned books, I couldn't help but feel energized to start another story idea completely separate from the fantasy genre. (I have a pretty short attention span and like to move on to the next thing before the first is finished…a horrible habit to have, in case you had no idea). 




I had determined I would start planning a modern day "action/mystery" story or a 1940s-set story, however I couldn't decide which idea to go with. After a week of mercilessly wrestling between the two, I finally said these words to myself: ""Well, I probably really wouldn't want to start writing the modern mystery/action story because I'll be distracted by the other Drasia books, and I want to give my whole attention to the modern idea when I start writing it."

Anyone else see the utter idiocy in that statement? The moment I said it I realized I'd said something…well, stupid. However, this opened my eyes to several things: 1) I had made my choice between the two story ideas, 2) I thought I had been considering the 1940s idea not to be that important, 3) the modern idea was clearly more developed than the 1940s story,  4) now isn't a good time to start a completely different story because my focus will be elsewhere - let me rephrase that, it SHOULD be elsewhere. 

Again, I thought I had chosen the modern over the 1940s because it was more important; HAAAAAALT. No story idea isn't important. If you've created it, love the idea and love the characters, it is important. As I just mentioned, all this meant was that it wasn't developed very well. After examining each story, I came to the conclusion that the difference in my mind, preferring one to the other, was because I had already a set goal and theme to the modern story idea, whereas the other was just a jumble of things I love or in which I am interested; it wasn't fleshed out enough to become a real story. Now, in the future, when I go back to the 1940s idea, I'll remember this and know this book will need some major reevaluation before the writing process begins. 


Now, does this mean that I can stop everything I'm doing now and write that first story? NO! I've already made a rather serious commitment to the Drasia books (I spent a whole year on the prequel, for goodness' sakes). However, I also don't want to lose any ideas or excitement for this modern story.

But here's the thing: If there's a great story within you that speaks to your soul, you will not lose your faith in it. Sure, the excitement might fizzle every now and then, but it will always return with an explosion. This modern story idea has spoken to my heart and already feels very dear to me, even before any serious planning, and while it's hard for me not to work on and write it, I'm pretty confident I can wait and not lose momentum forever.

Story ideas will still spring to mind as I continue to work on my Drasia books, and I will develop them as far as I dare go without losing sight of my current project. There's no harm in letting those ideas soak in for a while; the great ones will never leave you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment