Monday, October 21, 2013

Movie Review: Iron Man 3

I've seen Iron Man 3 twice now; once just watching for pleasure with the family, the second mostly for taking notes for this post.


Again, I do my best to not reveal spoilers, or at least major plot points. So let's get started.


First, I will say this movie would be very confusing if one hadn't seen The Avengers (or Iron Man 1, for that matter), though there is one quick flashback to the battle in New York and viewers could get the idea of what's happening. Still, you'll be better off if you make sure to see The Avengers before this movie.

The first 10 minutes are a rather confusing style as far as filming goes. The scenes skip around a little, making you wonder if you missed something small in the story. Most of this confusion, however, in the story aspect is explained later on in the film. I do feel like they could've fixed this to make it a little more understandable without giving away the plot for the rest of the movie, however this could just be a personal preference. I don't mind a little skipping around, but for the most part I like my movie to be straight on in the action and story.

Another little "issue" I had with the plot line is the relationship between Pepper and Stark. The movie takes place immediately after The Avengers, and at the end of that movie we saw that Pepper was wearing an engagement ring. However, in Iron Man 3, not only was their engagement not mentioned once, but she wasn't even wearing the ring. Diiiiid they forget???

As usual, the dry, sarcastic wit of Tony Stark was enjoyable; I always enjoy his kind of personality in characters. However, in this movie it was the weakest. I almost felt as though the writers were overdoing his usual, "subtle" comebacks, pushing for him to be so snarky that Stark's dialogue ended up being weak. His comebacks were forced, as if the well of inspiration had been run dry.

However, on to the positive points. For those of you who have seen the movie, who else loved the kid?! Ty Simpkins played Harley, a mini Tony Stark. This is a great kid actor that I hope to see again. And as far as his character - I wonder if he'll reappear? I got the feeling he was introduced now so as to become a major character in the future. As far as I know, he's completely fictional and not even in the comics, but still...I wouldn't mind if he reappeared!

The acting, as always, was top-notch (Ben Kingsley's performance was amazing), the action sequences were great, and as I said I enjoyed it enough to watch a second time.


Sarah's Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I heard he was more vulnerable in this movie. Would you say that's true or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. I don't always go into depth on such things in a movie review (perhaps I should start posts on "character examinations?"), but Stark's personality is certainly changed. In previous movies he's confident, self-serving, his anchor his brain. However, as a result of the battle of New York in The Avengers, he's left traumatized not only by the event but also because it made him realize what's important, and as such he doesn't want to take the risk of losing those things. It's a very interesting switch in his character. (Hmm..maybe you just gave me my next blog post!)

    ReplyDelete