Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Book Review: Poetry Collection, Sin Eater

Reading the first book of a published author is exciting. You may love the author and enjoy going back to his or her first works to see how the writing and themes developed, or begin the journey with them as a newly published writer. For me, the latter is the case with this collection of poems.

I had the honor of receiving one of the early drafts of Sin Eater, and I fell in love with it immediately. I'm no expert on poetry, but when I read this collection...I got lost. I was inspired. I filled several pages with my own verse. The book that makes me want to write is the book that earns a special spot on my shelf.

The author isn't fooling around. There are no "airs" in these poems; it's raw honesty, the everyman. He lets you take a glimpse into his life as a human being, including themes on loss, love, and depression, and gets to the point while still conveying that beautiful, calm rhythm only poetry possesses. As someone who deals with depression and anxiety, the poems resonated with me, reminding me I'm not the only one struggling.

You might have noticed the last name of this author is the same as mine. Andrew is my eldest brother, and ever since I was little I can remember him writing stories, making him one of my first influences in the world of writing. Despite the pride I feel over his accomplishment of publishing his first book, I can assure you, there is no bias in my review.  I genuinely love this collection of poetry, and no matter who you are or what you're going through, I can guarantee you'll identify with these poems and enjoy this thought-provoking collection.

This book is available on Amazon for $10.99 Paperback.

5/5 stars
**This book contains adult content and language.
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment