Saturday, July 16, 2016

25 Bookish Facts About Me




1. I prefer the look of hardcovers but mostly enjoy reading paperback. It's just so awkward for my little T-Rex hands to hold a hardback.

2. If I'm really into a book, I become a speed-reader. 300 pages books in a day, 700+ pages books in 2 (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and the second Inheritance Cycle book, Eldest, for example).

3.  I've only read about 16 books this year. And that's more than last year and probably the year before that. I may be a speed-reader but that doesn't mean when I end one book I jump into the next right away.

4. I didn't read Harry Potter until I was 21. And still lived a fulfilled, imaginative childhood. How 'bout that. (Though yes, I do think they are brilliant now.)

5. I don't like to read when it's rainy. I know, it's the epitome of reader behavior, but when it's rainy I get a headache which makes for an unfavorable condition in which to read.

6. I don't eat or drink anything while reading. Ain't nobody got time for second breakfast when traveling to Mordor!

7. I get extremely irritated if interrupted while reading. This is something I've had to work on.

8. I judge a book by it's cover. You do it too, ya know ya do.

9. I'm not a library person. The libraries I grew up around were...pathetic. Small town, two closest libraries had poor selections, worn books (not antique worn, but disgusting where-has-this-book-been books), and were loud as they were the central hub for preteens getting out of school. I just didn't become that person who is comfortable going to the library for hours on end.

10. I AM a bookstore person. On the other hand, rare trips to "civilization" often included going to BAM! or Barnes and Noble. I get shivers entering those stores. Hundreds of books, geek out stations, coffee shops, writerly magazines...I could spend hours on the floor or curled up in a chair in the attached coffee shops with a pile of books, oblivious to the world.

11. I prefer owning my books. This probably relates to not growing up with great libraries.

12. I hate loaning out my books to people. You take my book, you have a set time to get it back to me. You do not bend back the front cover. You do not crease it at all. You do not let anyone else borrow it — actually, you don't let anyone else touch it. You do not get fingernail polish marks on it. You keep it away from all stoves, water, animals, small children...let's face it, I never loan my books out to people.

13. I never imagine characters I read to look like real-life people (e.g. celebrities). I do, however, do this for the characters I create in my own writing. Characters in books I read almost always have some sort of physical characteristic of my own, probably because I act out the emotions on my face while I'm reading (not necessarily purposefully...)

14. I rarely read one book at a time. It is annoying, yes, but I can't help myself.

15. Besides my dog, my books are my babies. Refer to #11.

16. I often get sad at the fact Narnia isn't real. I'm talking down in the dumps, stare into the sky longingly while cursing your over-productive tear ducts sad.

17. I hate reading e-books. I have several, which is disappointing because something about reading a book on a screen just bothers me, and I can't get into it.

18. I love Jane Austen, but no, Pride and Prejudice is not my favorite of her books. Shocking, I know.

19. My first literary crush was Haldir from Lord of the Rings. If you didn't like him, or worse, have no idea who that is, walk away. Right now.

20. I'm obsessed with dragons but really haven't read many "dragon books." There's been the Inheritance Cycle, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and that adorable book Dragonskin Slippers... and I think that might be it. I haven't even read The Hobbit (though I have seen the movies). Recommendations?!

21. I like audiobooks...sometimes. I enjoy them when I'm sick, or late at night when my eyes are too tired to read. My mind does tend to wander, though.

22. I have many unread books on my shelves. Many of them I just haven't gotten to, others I've tried and can't get into them, others I flat out don't want to read (most of those are books I acquired during school years and somehow managed to get away with not reading them). However...

23. I cannot get rid of books. Even if I'm not throwing them away, but donating them or giving them to a friend or church library, it hurts a little. I love seeing tons of books on my shelves, and parting with any of them...ugh.

24. I get annoyed when an author's name is bigger than the book title on a cover. I can deal with it if they are near the same size, but when I look at a book, I want to know what it's called, not author's name. It's comparable to casting someone in a movie based only on how famous they are.

25. I have a hard time with "the classics." Jane Austen, Fahrenheit 451, Jane Eyre, those I love. Shakespeare, To Kill a Mockingbird, Charles Dickens...I will run away screaming.


There you have it! Do you relate to any of these bookish things?












No comments:

Post a Comment