Tuesday, January 19, 2016

2016 Update: What Will You Write?



2016 has begun. I feel rather rusty being back here on the blog, but I'll make this as coherent as humanly possible.

I didn't set any particular writing goals for myself (I barely like to assign personal goals), though there are certainly ideas in my head which I'd like to see put forth in the new year. I think we'd all like to have a little more discipline in our writing, setting aside days and time to fully dedicate to the pen. For me that's just not feasible, though I am writing more by trying to keep a daily journal.

I had determined one rule for the new year, and that was to come back to my WIP and rewrite the rough draft. I finished the rough draft at the end of October and set it aside. I like to give a few months in between each draft to rest my brain and let everything "incubate." This time, doing so revealed a huge lack in the plot, and I'm now mulling over ideas to fill that hole.

Doubt has overshadowed my writing lately, causing me to question my ability and love for the craft. Lack of posts on this blog has proven that. My therapist says I'm going through a quarter-life crisis; I can never do things the straightforward, conventional way. Everyone goes through hard times, and sometimes you come out stronger or with a new purpose. I'm more curious than ever to see where I will be in 5-10 years, even the end of this new year.

I can't promise to go back to my blog schedule right now, though I do hope to include more book reviews, perhaps movie reviews, and updates on my WIP. I've been getting into painting lately as well, and I may share some of my art; it's good to find another way to relax and get those creative juices flowing.

I wish you blessings and happiness in your 2016 writing journey, or wherever the new year takes you! Share below your hopes for 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment