Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summer Goals

Happy official summer, y'all!

This summer is extra special to me because I don't have to dread going back to school next fall! Well, that is, I can start my college coursework whenever I want, and I'm free to choose whatever I want to study. Sounds like heaven, right?

This summer and early fall are going to be extremely hectic for my family and me, but that's not stopping me from creating some goals I want to strive for in the next few months. I thought I'd share just a few:

**Work hard in my WIP, The Descendants of Drasia, and get a good chunk of the second half of the first draft done.

**Outline and start researching/creating 2 other story ideas

**Figure out a set plan for the courses I want to take to help me further my education in creative writing and screenwriting (and other areas I wish to study, which at the moment include History, Psychology, and German.)

I would love to have the first draft of The Descendants of Drasia done at least by Thanksgiving (sooner would be amazing, but if I've learned one thing, it's not to rush). I have lots of story ideas running through my head that I'm excited to get going, but if I get this draft done, I'll start planning the next book in the series and one other book (okay...and maybe one more, we'll just have to see where I am!).

A free summer...when it first starts, you feel like you have all the time in the world. However, by the time family vacations roll around, unexpected trips to the beach pop up, and unforeseen obstacles come your way (jobs, anyone?), it's fall again. I'm always amazed at how summer just flies by (even more so for me, as where I live the summer *season* is very short). So I want to encourage you all as you are making plans and goals, whether it be for writing or other endeavors...make your plans whole-heartedly, but DON'T get discouraged if you don't reach them in the time you hoped. Put your heart and mind into it, strive to do as much as you can with the time given to you, but don't forget to enjoy the spontaneousness of life. Beating yourself up or regretting not getting that draft done (or again, whatever applies to you) will only put a damper on the memory of your summer and discourage you from ever making goals again. Enjoy the life given to you, make the best of your time, and relax and have fun in the next couple months. :)

What are your goals for this summer, whether it pertains to writing or not? Sound off in the comment section below or on the pinterest link for this post! http://pinterest.com/secoons/my-double-living-my-blog/

**I'm leaving tomorrow for my own family vacation. I don't know what my schedule will be like, but I hope to be able to get a couple of posts on here in the next couple weeks. Bear with me if I fall behind!**

No comments:

Post a Comment