Saturday, March 1, 2014

Book Review: All Things Hidden by Tracie Peterson and Kimberly Woodhouse

**I received a free review copy of All Things Hidden from Bethany House/Baker Publishing Group**






I have to say I really enjoyed this book. The story was one of those where it took me a little while to get into, but by the middle of the book, I couldn't put it down. Overall, it was very sweet and the characters not only believable but likable. I enjoyed how Peterson and Woodhouse created a protagonist, Gwyn, who could at the same time be an excessive worrier (something I can relate to easily) but also hold an amazing amount of faith and strength. 

This book is also based on a true historical account, the settlement of the Matanuska-Susitna Valley in 1935, and real-life figures were woven into the story. It was very interesting to learn a bit of history about Alaska and see how it would've affected not only those settlers coming in but also the natives already occupying the land.

I have two grudges against the book: One, there were a couple of grammatical errors. I only counted two so I wasn't upset about it, but it's still disappointing to see that in a published book. Two, though the ending certainly had a bit of a twist which had me gasping a few times (I'm sure my parents thought I was going insane), there was something lacking as well. I feel like the authors skipped over some content that would've linked the ending together and satisfied the readers more. This is obviously more of a personal preference, however.

My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Would I recommend this book to a reader interested in this genre: Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment