Monday, February 3, 2014

2014 Reading List



I almost hesitated to make a reading this list this year because I feel like I rather failed in the amount of books I read in 2013, though granted it was a crazy year of unexpected happenings. So, as part of my goals for the upcoming 2014 months, I've decided to try to read at least two books per month, preferably three and all depending on the size of the books. I'd like to share with you a few of the books included on my list.

1) The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


I'm currently in the middle of this book, and to be honest I'm not thrilled with it. I'll give a more detailed book review when I've finished. 



2) Unspoken by Dee Henderson


This was one of my Christmas gifts and I just started reading it last night. Dee Henderson is one of my favorite authors and I'm sure it won't disappoint!



3) The Death of King Arthur: The Immortal Legend by Sir Thomas Malory and Peter Ackroyd

I picked this up on sale in a little book shop fairly close to me. Peter Ackroyd retells the legend of King Arthur and his knights using modern language. I'm very interested and excited to have fun with this book.



4) The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley


Marion Zimmer Bradley takes the stories of King Arthur and puts them into the perspectives of the women in these tales. Who wouldn't want to read this book?!



6) The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield


I discovered this book last summer and thought it didn't sound like your typical book. I hope to get my hands on it at some point and find out if it's really as good as it sounds!



7) Longbourn by Jo Baker


This book takes a look at the lives of the downstairs servants from Elizabeth Bennet's home of Longbourn from Pride and Prejudice. I love stories like Downton Abbey, so I have a feeling this is going to be an enjoyable read.



8) Ginger: My Story by Ginger Rogers


I've read hardly any autobiographies, and I thought to ease myself into this personally hard-to-read genre I'd start with someone that I'm familiar with and love. (I love old musicals/movies, and the Astaire/Rogers duo is one of my favorites.)



9) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Not a type of book I would normally pick up to read, but the storyline sounds like a heart-tugger. Also, I just purchased a little poster of a quote by John Green, so I figured I'd better read one of his books. :P 



10) The Bell Jar by Sylvia Path


A classic but not in it's original sense, it seems. This too seems like one of your unusual books, and also sounds a bit unsettling, but from what I've seen other say, it might be hard to put the book down.



11) Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain


Again, not my usual type of book, but this was recommended by an actress/writer that I greatly admire and seeing as how I consider myself a major introvert, I thought this looked really interesting. I bought it on my new kindle fire and have to say I like the writing style so far and have come across some intriguing viewpoints this author has on the world of differing personalities. 


There you have it! As you can see, I seem to be leaning towards books that somehow retell familiar stories and genres I haven't gone for in the past. I want 2014 to be a year I branch out and try new things, and where better to start than reading? 

(You can visit my pinterest board here to see some of my other books including more classics on my reading list. I'm constantly adding!)

What's on your reading list? 
Do you have a book you'd like to recommend to me? I might just review it!

No comments:

Post a Comment